Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: FT III alternative rules

Re: Campaign rules?

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792@o...>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:40:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign rules?

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Mike Miserendino wrote:

> It would seem reasonable to have a base time plus some random number
> generated by say a die roll to determine the exact time per ship.
This
> would work in campaigns where the actual time to complete has several
> determinants that might affect its outcome.  The random amount should
be
> close per ship in the same type\class, but also some variation with
unknowns.

> Example:  (Roll random modifier once per class)
>
> Supership
> Time to complete: 24 months + 3D6 months.
>
> Capital
> Time to complete: 18 months + 2D6 months.
>
> Cruiser
> Time to complete: 12 months + 1D6 months.
>
> Escort
> Time to complete: 6 months + 1D6 months.
>
> If two or more of the same class of ship are to built, reduce
construction
> time by 1D6 for each ship in class built after the class ship.  I do
like
> the idea of mass contributing to the base construction time, but this
is
> only a rough idea. The random portion could account for variation in
supply
> of critical parts(beam weapons, fire control, toliet paper supply,
etc.),
> war effects, economy, etc.
>

> Mike Miserendino

How about even more random.  Each turn you roll a d6 for each ship
underconstruction and keep a running total.  You then base the total
points needed to finish the ship on the size of the ship being
constructed.  You could decrease the total
needed per ship in some way to account for mass production.  You could
also switch die types to show various rates of construction, perhaps a
player could use a d8 to show lots of overtime being put into
constructing
a ship at an increased cost or use a d4 on a low priority ship to save
costs.	If the gamemaster keeps the totals secret from the players
(giving
"descriptive" statements at the end of each turn only) this could add
something to play.

Kind of like this-

Use a d6 for:
	-normal construction rate.

Use a d4 for:
	-low priority construction, reduce cost by some amount.
	-for first construction of a ship type.

Use a d8 for:
	-high priority construction, increase cost by some amount.

Number of points needed for an Escort:	25
			       Cruiser: 45
			       Capital: 75

Something like that anyhow.  Just a thought.

Chad Taylor

Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: FT III alternative rules