Prev: needle beam thoughts Next: Re: Space problems: Again.

Re: needle beam thoughts

From: Ludo Toen <Ludo.Toen@p...>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:44:17 -0500
Subject: Re: needle beam thoughts

lojeck wrote:

> given the recent discussion about needle beams, I though I'd chuck in
my
> opinion...
>
> I'm designing my first FT fleet now, and I had an idea from an
aircraft
> that used to patrol the Ho Chi Mihn Trail. it was some form of cargo
> craft, fitted with a whole bunch of guns firing out the left (or is it
> right?) side. it would orbit any vehicles it wanted to kill, firing
all
> its weapons as it circled.

The first of these was a conversion from the C47 (Dakota of WW2 fame),
later followed by C130s. Later designs even had a 105mm Howitzer
sticking out the side. Should start thinking about some Vietnam rules
for Dirtside (now where did I leave my Apocalypse Now soundtrack ;)

> I'm designing some small craft, maybe 25 tons, with 8 thrust, 2 fire
> control, and as many needlebeams as I can fit all firing into the same
> arc. since you only need 1 firecon to fire x needlebeams at the same
> systems, I figure if I can get maybe 6 beams in, I'm guaranteed a
system
> kill each shot! face them all out one side so I can orbit a ship, or
fly
> behind a row of ships, and go along knocking out weapons as you go!

Knock out the fire controls, there's less of them than weapons systems
and harder to do without.

Prev: needle beam thoughts Next: Re: Space problems: Again.