Prev: Escort Agility (was Re: Beam Weapons) Next: Re: Re[2]: Beam Weapons

Re: Beam Weapons

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:17:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Beam Weapons

At 09:27 AM 11/29/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Date sent:  29-NOV-1996 09:18:21
>Am I the only one who disagrees with this? All it needs is a little
>common sence to create designs that 'feel' right. As has already been
>pointed out, while a ship with a longer reach might be better at
>maximum performance, once those threshold checks start taking effect,
>or if someone is using needlers, that single A can be a liability.
>
>Besides the jump from C to B to A is the best way of displaying
increased
>technology as well as better weapons.
>
>+-------------------------------------+--------------------+
>| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer        | Bolton Institute,  |
>| #include "witty_saying"	       | Eagle Tower,	    |
>| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	       | College Way,	    |
>| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	    |
>| Fax	  : +44 1204 399074	       | BL3 5AE.	    |
>+-------------------------------------+--------------------+

	I want a system balanced well enough that I can turn the players
loose on it without worry. Players don't always worry about what "feels"
right. Most of the players I know are ex-Star Fleet Battles players who
would hack their way into the Pentagon computers to try and optimize
their
designs if they could.

	As for C's to B's to A's being the best way of displaying
increased
technology and better weapons I guess you've got a point here, but
better
weapons was never what I was looking for. I was looking for equally good
differing weapons. If the different batteries are supposed to reflect
advances in weapon tech than it makes sense to use nothing but A-bats
but
I'm looking for a system with a lot of different weapons that all work
in
different ways (tactically, not technologically) but are all balanced
against each other.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Escort Agility (was Re: Beam Weapons) Next: Re: Re[2]: Beam Weapons