Prev: Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules Next: Re: FT\Star Wars Fighters

Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:50:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules

Date sent:  18-NOV-1996 19:36:18

>Which reminds me of one popular local complaint about FT. There really
>no such thing as a critical hit. You've got to pound the shit out of a
>big ship forever, to neutralize or destroy it. Not as satisfying as
>seeing a WWI German cruiser blow sky high on a magazine hit in a game
>of Panzerschiffe the other day. And remember the Hood?

I've always thought it excellent that FT has such a GREAT critical hit
system. You can never tell which systems are going to die when you
go over a threshold. (In short you make critical hit checks all at
once.)

A critical loss can leave you dead in space. It's surprising how few
ships are combat capable after just one or two checks.

True it does break down when you get Extreamly large ships, but I never
did see the appeal of having giants. For escorts, cruisers and smaller
capitals, it works just fine.

Come to think of it, I'm sure the length of rows for capitals doesn't
follow on from escort to cruiser. Anyone want to have a go at defining

Escort -> Cruiser -> Line -> Capital -> Heavy Capital -> Mauler etc.

Or whatever you want to name them. I think Superships need redoing too.

>What kind of critical-hit rules have folks put into their games?

None. The originals work for me.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: Variant PDAF/ADAF Rules Next: Re: FT\Star Wars Fighters