Prev: Re: Spaceship Paint Jobs Next: Re: Full Thrust questions

Re: Spaceship Paint Jobs

From: "Mike Wikan" <mww@n...>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:52:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Spaceship Paint Jobs

> Now, I can understand why you'd not want everything a uniform
unpainted
> metal color, for looks, and assuming different fab technologies and
metals
> used, it's justifiable. Just imagine that the greenish-brown hue of
one
> culture's ships, or of some parts of your otherwise grey ship is from
> difference in metallurgy.
>
> >>  I recommend checking actual photos of real ships as well as
spacecraft to
> >>  help get some ideas.  I plan to use some cool camo schemes on my
NSL and
> >>  Kra'Vak.	These are some ideas that I use, hope it helps.
>
> But, this seems weird to me.
>
> First, unless the craft will be sitting on some rock, or on a
planetary
> surface, why bother camo it? It's going to be targetted with radar,
laser
> sensors, etc., not eyeballs. It's too damn far away! If anything paint

> it black.
>
> Second, how do you paint something in space? Spray guns will act like
> thrusters pushing you away from the paint job, and I'd not recommend
> rollers or brushes, either. (Unless you want to believe the intro to
> Red Dwarf.)

In our shipyard we have this giant hydraulic vise that grips the
starship and dips it in this 40 billion liter tank of Acrylic
paint....(after we tape off the windows and unscrew the antennae of
course.)  ;-)
Mike Wikan
Game Design\Conceptual Art
n-Space, Inc.

Prev: Re: Spaceship Paint Jobs Next: Re: Full Thrust questions