Prev: Another way to get them Damm fighter joc Next: Re: Gone to GenCon

Re: Torpedoes

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:55:40 -0400
Subject: Re: Torpedoes

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996 FieldScott@aol.com wrote:

> I know the "how to balance the A-battery" question is one of the
oldest
> debates on this list, but has anyone tried limiting the number of
firing arcs
> by class? One of my pet peeves is that since a 3-arc beam takes up no
more
> mass (and only a few more points) than a 1-arc weapon, everyone tend
to use
> 3-arc weapons all over the place. This makes perfect sense from a
> max-effectiveness point of view, but I feel having limited firing arcs
> enhaces positional tactics, so I've been toying with the following
idea:

> A-bats can have only one firing arc
> B-bats can have up to two arcs
> C-bats can have up to three arcs
>
> Has anyone tried anything similar?

Yes, but with the addition that bigger batteries _can_ fire through more

arcs - but the mass goes up. In this way, you can have ships like WW*
dreadnoughts, with turreted main guns - but you won't have very much
else.

The points are not a very effective limiting factor in the game, but
mass is.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

( Snailmail: Ljuskarrsvagen 44N1, 133 31  Saltsjobaden, SWEDEN
     )
( Telephone: +46 - (0)8-7177891
     )
( Email: f92-ooh@nada.kth.se
     )
-------

Prev: Another way to get them Damm fighter joc Next: Re: Gone to GenCon