Prev: Re: Torpedoes Next: Re: Torpedoes

Re: Torpedoes

From: "Back from the woods, time to learn how to use a fork again..." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 18:41:15 -0400
Subject: Re: Torpedoes

>I know the "how to balance the A-battery" question is one of the oldest
>debates on this list, but has anyone tried limiting the number of
firing arcs
>by class? One of my pet peeves is that since a 3-arc beam takes up no
more
>mass (and only a few more points) than a 1-arc weapon, everyone tend to
use
>3-arc weapons all over the place. This makes perfect sense from a
>max-effectiveness point of view, but I feel having limited firing arcs
>enhaces positional tactics, so I've been toying with the following
idea:

>A-bats can have only one firing arc
>B-bats can have up to two arcs
>C-bats can have up to three arcs
>
>Has anyone tried anything similar?

Well, I haven't placed any specific restrictions on batteries in my B5
ship designs other than what 'felt' right. If I felt a battery on a
particular
ship had justification for multiple arcs, I went with it. But if I felt
that
the battery(ies) should have more restricted arcs (2, or even 1), I just
simply
designed the ships with that in mind.

Most of the B5 ship designs I've come up with are forward-arc heavy,
moderate
to the sides, and, well, in some rare cases have a few aft-arc weapons.

Mk

PS: Scott, whaddya doin' online? ain't'cha supposed to be gettin'
*married*
or somethin'?!?  ;-)
-
All that is gold does not glitter,