Prev: Assembling GZG FT Models Next: Re: SW v. Kurasowa

Re: Star Wars Models ...

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 06:58:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Wars Models ...

RMMDC@jazz.ucc.uno.edu writes:
@:) joachim wrote:
@:)
@:) "Most science fiction authors, from Tolkien on..."
@:)
@:) Hey, Tolkien's great, but he ain't science fiction, he's fantasy.

  Obviously true.  What I probably should have said, and what
hopefully I meant to say was "most fantasy authors (including most
science fiction authors)..." because I see most science fiction as a
subset of fantasy.  Oh, I know, fantasy has magic and elves and people
getting their heads split open by eighty pound battle axes.  Yes yes
science fiction has hyperwarp drive and laser guns and smartass
computers.  Fine.  But, while some science fiction (let's see... I
just read Zodiac by Neal Stephenson) is obviously firmly grounded in
the real world, some (also just read Diamond Age by same) is
indistinguishable from fantasy.  If it looks like a magic duck, and
quacks like a magic duck, it's a magic duck, even if it turns out it's