Prev: Re: What do your ships look like? (was: Minatures) Next: Re: Minatures

Re: Aliens in DSII/SGII

From: "John Phelps" <jphelps@a...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 18:30:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Aliens in DSII/SGII

>I was wondering if anyone had come up with some decent rules for using
>aliens (e.g.- Kra'Vak & Sa'Vaasku) in Dirtside II and/or Stargrunt II?
>They're both brilliant systems but Human vs Human battles can get to be
>bit hoo-hum after a while and I'm too busy to come up with decent rules
>and playtest them (sorry).
>
>Also, does anyone know if there are going to be supplements for either
(or
>both) of the above?  Just curious.

Yes, there is going to be a supplement for SG2 called "Bugs Don't Surf"
(at
least, that's the working title!).

I've been kicking around some rules for aliens using my Genestealer and
Tyranid models.  They aren't really playtested yet, but I can send them
you if you want.  I'm trying to set up some solitaire rules for them
(the
semi-mindless bugs attacking ad hoc colonial defense).

Really, there isn't a lot of "alien" feel involved.  Where you would get
alien behavior would be the morale and leadership rules.  The rest of it
can be fudged in normal numbers.  For example, here's one of my aliens:

"Attacker"

6 limbed, this creature runs on the hind pair.	The middle pair have
manipulative hands, but this creature has never been observed using any
artifacts.  Apparently, these hands are only used to grip their victims.

The upper pair end in large, 3-bladed claws.

Speed: 8" (combat move is 12 + 1d6")
Armor: d8 (tough hide and carapace)
Troop Quality: Veteran
Unit Size: 4 to 6
Special: = no ranged weapons
	 = gets 1 die shift up in close combat for claws
	 = causes terror in close combat

Bugs don't have medics - if wounded roll quality die:
1-4 Bug dies from wounds, or is injured badly enough to be terminated
5+ Bug only lightly wounded, place Suppression marker on unit, but model
is
otherwise unaffected

Bugs don't have leaders (well, they do, but not all the time).	Use a
"2"
chit for their rating, and there is not a detectable leader in the
group.
They suffer no penalties for a killed leader.  They cannot take
leadership
type actions, except removing suppression or rallying themselves.

Attacker bugs always move towards the closest perceived enemy.	They
will
try to stay in cover, but must move towards enemy.  If within 20", they
declare a close assault and charge.

How's that?

Let me know if you are interested in the rest...  Also, check the
archives,
Andrew Cowell sent out some rules for using the original Kryomek models
in
SG2.

John
John Phelps  ****   mailto: pbguru@cris.com or jphelps@austin.apple.com
OIC, Gundi's Gang -- Anything expressed above is strictly my opinion --
MLofCbt#58: When in doubt, empty your magazine and run like hell.

Prev: Re: What do your ships look like? (was: Minatures) Next: Re: Minatures