Prev: Re: Fighters ...how does that go again. Next: RE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

Re: Traveller

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:37:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Traveller

Joe A. Troche wrote:

>Cool idea Robin,

>	 However, the firepower of a mass 30 FT ship relative to a mass
80
>FT ship is not equivalent to a Crusier class 15000 ton ship versus a
>Light Carrier(60000 Ton).  Still the outcome is the same when these two

>antagonists meet.

>	 I believe Mike's 50 tons per mass point is, OK.  But I was
trying
>to find a "true" conversion so I could use the FT combat system is FRP
>that need more detail (cargo space and such) not so I could drag
starships
>from other games into FT.  When Mike gave us the cargo space
requirements
>for troops and equipment in more thrust, whether he likes it or not, he

>gave us the conversion factor.  I just crunched the numbers.

True, Joe, but who's to say that 1 ton in the "official FT" universe is
the
same as 1 ton in the "Traveller" universe, or any other universe for
that
matter? What I mean by "ton" (tonne?) may not be what you (or Marc
Miller)
mean by "ton". According to my cargo space rules in "More Thrust" the
accommodation for one man in an FT ship is 4 CS ( i.e. 4 tons). The
standard allocation for one stateroom in a Traveller ship is 4 tons, but
on
military ships the occupation is usually 2 men per stateroom, ie 1 man's

accommodation is 2 tons. See what I mean?

Food for thought, perhaps.

What does anybody else think?

Mike Elliott
BTW, if I don't append "GZG" after my name, I am speaking for myself,
not
GZG.

Prev: Re: Fighters ...how does that go again. Next: RE: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!