Prev: Re: Dirtside II Artillery, etc. Next: Minatures

Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:10:18 -0400
Subject: Re: More fighters + (real) Java Space Dock!

> I personally don't allow it. Fighters are the most deadly of craft,
and
> adding "layers" to them  is just horriffic ... and the point cost for
> them won't balance with the damage tehy can deal. Imagine the most
> deadly dual fighter ... the interceptor torpedo fighter.

Fighters become much less effective if the three turn endurance rule is
used.  Then there is little incentive to have multi-class fighters since

each attack means you are not using half (or more) of the fighters
potential. e.g. a Torpedo Bomber/interceptor - if i use it as an
interceptor, that is one less attack as a torpedo bomber and vice versa.

Using the three turn limit also makes bombers and  more vulnerable since

people are reluctant to use up attacks on fighters and interceptors at
the reduced rate when the number of shots is limited.  Using the turn
around times for re-arming fighters also decreases the "horde" mentality

since only a limited number of fighters can be launched, re-armed and
recovered.
	Currently our fighter stands consist of turrets from Renegade
Legion tanks mounted on Epic Figure stands with a micro die to indicate
number of fighters.  Type of fighter is indicated by color of the die
(i.e. red is standard. Blue is Heavy and green is torpedo) and using the

5 indentations to indicate number of attacks (0-3 +1 for extra stores)
The nly problem is that the dice are a little larger than the
indentations and thus do not sit flush.  Some work with an x-acto on the

indentation has solved this for some of the stands, but this is labor
intensive.  I'm going to try a heated square nail in the future.
	To balance out victory conditions you can count fighter
squadrons
as a fraction of the mothership's cost, i.e. if a 200 point carrier has
2
fighter groups, the fighter squadrons are counted as each being 1/10 the

value of the carrier.  Thus if a fighter squadron is destroyed it
count's
1/10 of the VP wile the carrier would then be worth 9/10 if the other
squadron was still on board.  Abandoned squadrons count as being killed.

This prevents the jump on board, launch a fighter wave, jump off and
come
back after the battle kind of tactic.  A similar VP cost can be used on
missiles - i.e. if a person launches a bunch of missiles then jumps
most
of his ships out, I'll do the same and I'll win by the virtue that the
missiles are worth VP.

--Binhan Lin

Prev: Re: Dirtside II Artillery, etc. Next: Minatures