Prev: Re: Campaign settings Next: RE: A question of scale

From: mllaneza@s...
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:47:15 -0400

XCongress-Bonehead bastards
To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
From: mllaneza@sfsu.edu (Michael Carter Llaneza)
Subject: Re:Campaign settings

   I'm very interested in this. I've been unhappy with both Battle
Rider and Brilliant Lances. I agree completely with the design
theory/philosophy of both games, I just think the rules development
needed a lot of work. Since I like  Full Thrust a lot, I think a
conversion is the right solution.
   I haven't touched this project yet. My current work involves
restarting my old science fiction gaming magazine, Imperial Dispatches,
as a web 'zine. I am interested in working with you on this, and
electronically anyway, I can guarantee publication of the final result.
   My approach for this would be to design FT equivalents for the
'stock' Traveller items such as point-defense lasers, meson guns,
missiles and so forth.
Then create parallel designs. One potential problem is that a linear
conversion of tonnage to mass gives very small ships and ships of
incredible mass. If a scoutship is mass 2, a Kinunir-class cruiser is
24. Then from there an Azhanti High Lightning class cruiser is mass
1200. A Tigress is mass 10,000...
    Perhaps a logarithmic scale would be best. A Tigress should be
relatively huge in any scale. We can either create a set of stock
weaponry (replacing the standard weapons and just use the FT rules) or
make a really light version of FFS to allow some customization of
weapons (perhaps just saying that so many dice of meson gun has mass
X).
    Anyone else have a thought ?

At 12:33 PM 7/8/96, kosta kalogeropoulos 956-6476 wrote:
> >From that encounter, I have purchased the full line of GZG
>rulesets:(FT,SGII,
> DSII) and I'm currently creating various starship & tank designs for
>use in a
> Traveller setting during the Solomani Rim War. I got the inspiration
>from the
> old GDW boxed sets: (Invasion:Earth & 5th Frontier War) which both
>had large
> fleet battles and planetary invasions as part of the system. My
>designs are in
> no way 'official' Traveller, but I try to be somewhat 'setting
specific':
> Imperium has Battle Riders while Solomani have System Defense Boats
(SDB).

> If anyone has an interest or ideas for the Traveller setting they
>would like
> to share, please write me.

Michael Carter Llaneza
Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
http://www.hypnotic.com/
Down, not across

Prev: Re: Campaign settings Next: RE: A question of scale