Prev: RE: Space Fleet: Would Like "White Dwarf" Articles.... Next: Re: DSII: Artillery Ammo Question

Re: Those annoying aliens...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 06:39:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Those annoying aliens...

Having finally recieved my copy of More Thrust, I'll join the debate:

* Armour. Kra'Vak armour doesn't use _any_ mass whatsoever... which I
for one
  find rather, um, strange. I would make armour use 7.5% of the total
  MASS of a ship for each level; thus a size 40 BC would spend 6 MASS on

  armour - just as it would for level-2 shields. OTOH, the armour
  wouldn't cost as much... Nothing, I think. All fractional MASS round
up.
  The effect is that to get as much weapons into an armoured hull as an
un-
  armoured, you have to pay for bigger engines (and, let's face it:
engines
  are the biggest part of the cost for a capital ship!).

* Scatterpacks: Since the projectiles are scattered into a cone-shaped
  volume, the further away you are, the lower the density of projectiles
  will be. Thus, a -1 modifier on the damage for each 3 lenght units
between
  shooter and target seems appropriate - which makes it rather
uneffective
  at range 12, but still very good at range 3 (which is the closest I
can
  place my ships anyway!)

Of course, I haven't had time to try it out much...

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

( Snailmail: Ljuskarrsvagen 44N1, 133 31  Saltsjobaden, SWEDEN
     )
( Telephone: +46 - (0)8-7177891
     )
( Email: f92-ooh@nada.kth.se
     )
-------

Prev: RE: Space Fleet: Would Like "White Dwarf" Articles.... Next: Re: DSII: Artillery Ammo Question