Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: Re: US CVs WW2

Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 101 03:35:49 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games

Beth Fulton wrote:

> Sorry this isn't exactly on topic, but thought you might be interested
> hear how effective passive sensors can be (probably old news to many
of
> you, but I thought it was cool).

-->8--

> The potential risk comes from the towers used by cell phone companies
> draw in signal patterns. The new technology, called passive radar,
watches
> signals from common cell phone transmissions. When a plane passes
through,
> it leaves a hole in the pattern, giving away its location.

Unless the aircraft has a low-powered cellphone repeater on board....

For the same reason, a dark ship that is slightly illuminated at night
is more
difficult to see than one that isn't.

Yes, it's old news to me, but you're right, the temperature approaches
zero
kelvin. Thanks for relaying it. And it illustrates well some of the
problems in
detection, and the sophisticated (and sometimes surprising)
countermeasures
required.

Sorry, I refused to say "cool" when it was popular in the 60s, I refused
again
in the 80s, and I'll be darned if I'll say it in the 00's!

This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.
http://www.austarmetro.com.au/

Prev: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games Next: Re: US CVs WW2