Prev: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games

Re: [FT] Sensors and Sensibility

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 101 03:43:35 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensors and Sensibility

Brian A Quirt wrote:

>      They do indeed look easy enough for play. I don't like the
> passive detection rules for 'accuracy reasons' (they seem to presume
> sensors will get worse by 2183, although that may be a result of
> different scales). I would probably use the identification rules
> (although I'd include the "maximum weapons range" modification
> suggested), but not the passive detection. I would also add mass to
> detection if it gives acceleration, but that's a quibble.

Not so much different scales, as a high-ECM environment. If no-one's
been using balloons, decoys, chaff, jammers any time in the last year
and
there's no debris around, you could boost the detection ranges
dramatically (
by at least 1000) at 1000km per inch. I'm sure the active detectors
would have
at least the capability of detecting a rock the size of a breadbox
anywhere
inside Jupiter's orbit otherwise. Tracking is another matter, track
stores of
several trillion would be needed. Tricky, but doable.

ID is another matter.

For example, detecting a 2m x 2m x 10m GeoSynchronous Commsat in a
Clarke Orbit
( 36" range essentially ) is easy with a simple telescope at night, if
the
Sun's in the right position so you get reflection from the solar panels.
Doing
so when it transits in front of the Sun during the middle of the day
though is
tricky via any means.

And IDing a commsat as opposed to a Nuke of approximately the same mass
sitting
inside a flimsy box the same shape as a commsat, that's trickier still
if
they're both radiating similarly. Even at a range of 360 m, let alone
360,000
km.

But regardless of the B content in the PSB justification, it was a case
of "never let reality stand in the way of a good game". There, I've
confessed.
Are you happy? :-) The justification came after the playtesting and
distance
tweaking so crippled merchants could hide amongst asteroids to avoid
pirates,
and so forth.

> Good rules.

Merci beaucoup. The second-highest praise I've had for them, and it's
appreciated.

(The highest being a comment I've read along the lines of "makes me wish
there
were more players of FT in my
area..")

This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.

Prev: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: [FT] Some thinking on sensor and operational level games