Prev: Re: Sensors - War Stories Next: Re: Sensors and Zooplankton

Re: Snapping Shrimp (what?) and Sensors

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Wed, 30 May 101 03:59:23 GMT
Subject: Re: Snapping Shrimp (what?) and Sensors

> >Well I don't mind the extra "stuff" sensors would allow, but some
> >streamlining may be nice (but that's just me who gets the basic idea
> >of active vs passive but is a bit lost why its so hard to tell what
> >ship it is if we can use echo-sounder stuff to follow individual
> >zooplankters in the ocean).
>
> Are those Not So Wee Beasties wandering around all quiet like or are
> they really really chatty? Its my understanding that they are chatty.

Snapping shrimp. DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT SNAPPING SHRIMP! These little
b.... -
um -  creatures produce so much noise at about 120 Khz that they bollix
up the
best frequencies for minehunting sonars. They are a Royal Pain.
Submarines use
patches of em to hide in too, the lower harmonics are quite strong.

Yes,they are really, really chatty. Much more so than, say, a gas
turbine
engine. Just on different
frequencies.

This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.

Prev: Re: Sensors - War Stories Next: Re: Sensors and Zooplankton