Prev: Re: Urgent list question - anyone speak Chinese….? Next: Re: Urgent list question - anyone speak Chinese….?

Re: Urgent list question - anyone speak Chinese….?

From: Jon Tuffley <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 20:57:58 +0000
Subject: Re: Urgent list question - anyone speak Chinese….?

On 6 Nov 2015, at 20:38, Douglas Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> I think he wants something specifically unit like the Lunar Domain or
People's Lunar Expedition. Actually, I'm less happy with USLM; ET
Marines, Lunar Expeditionary Brigade feels better.

Nothing is set in stone yet (or in moon rock…), so happy to consider
alternative terms for the US forces….

I do quite like Phil's PLASF for the Chinese.

Jon (GZG)

> Ah, I think Jason and I are of one mind.
>
> Mind, what I actually came up with sounds like crap, just seems in a
better direction.

> Wait, Jason, with the imperialistic aggression, OF COURSE, it's a
peace force. ;->=

> Doug

Atcliffe
> Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 2:26 PM
> To: gzg@firedrake.org
> Subject: Re: Urgent list question - anyone speak Chinese….?
>
> On 06/11/2015 19:19, Jon Tuffley wrote:
>> I need a believable name for Chinese military forces on the Moon in
the near future….. they are going to be the opposition for the USLM
(United States Lunar Marines)…. so what might they be called? I guess
what I need is a sensible term for them in English, and THEN the
translation for it?

>> Democratic Peoples' Space Forces?
> I don't speak Chinese, but if this version of China is a direct
descendant of today's PRC, then a space force is quite likely to be
called something like the People's Liberation Army Space Force (PLASF),
along the same lines as the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN),
People's Liberation Army Air Force )PLAAF) and People's Liberation Army
Marine Corps (PLAMC -- are you starting to see a pattern here?). To our
ears/eyes, the names are peculiar, to say the least, but the Chinese do
it that way. So you could well have the PLASF, or the PLA Space Marines
(!), or the PLA Space Marine Corps.

> Alternatively, the space forces, both "naval" and "marine" could
simply be part of the PLAN and PLAMC, not unlike a VSF navy having both
ships and aeronefs. Your choice.