Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

From: "Hugh Fisher" <laranzu@o...>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 10:01:03 +1100
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 04:49:57 +1100, Jon Tuffley <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

> Continuing the very useful discussion on FTL, I'm going to get my long

> pointy stick out once more and prod the ListMind Collective again to
> keep things going…..
>
> How many SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT styles/concepts of FTL travel can we

> come up with between us from SF movies, TV and literature?

There's the "hyper limit" modifier such as Honor Harrington and Cherryh
Union/Alliance, where trying to enter hyperspace too close to a star or
decent sized celestial object either doesn't work or has disastrous
consequences.

In the Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn (I think) and the Polity setting
by Neal Asher there are FTL disruptor things which cause ships to drop
into normal space.

I think of FTL as a plot device to get all the ships in one spot so they

can
shoot at each other. From that viewpoint, the important aspects of FTL
for
tabletop game are how and where you can arrive or depart, and with what

level
of precision. (From an earlier question, yes I've played several games
where
one side sets up and the other jumps in.)

Do people fight battles in hyperspace? It happens in Honor Harrington
and
Babylon 5.

--
	 cheers,
	 Hugh Fisher

Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: FTL