Prev: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules Next: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:20:25 +1100
Subject: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules

On 22/03/2015 9:20 PM, Hugh Fisher wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:50:27 +1100, Zoe Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>>
>> One simple solution that works well:
>> A PDF can either attack *all* targets in a 60 degree sector. No more
>> than 1 PDF per sector in this barrage mode.
>> Or *one* target in any sector.
>>
>> It means that it's advantageous for fighter and missiles to attack
from
>> multiple directions, but swamping the defences is harder.
>>
> Solutions which make individual PDS more effective, like this and John
> Tailby's earlier, just increase the number of fighters / missiles
needed
> to swamp the defence. I call this the "N + 1" problem: the attacker
should
> not succeed only by bringing more fighters/missiles.
Not quite - after 6 PDS, there's a point of diminishing returns.
Vs 1 PDS, 1 fighter group will get X casualties . 120 will get 120X if
coming in at the same sector.
A ship with 3PDS and with 120 attackers coming in over 6 sectors will
kill 60X (assuming 20 per sector).
A ship with 3PDS and 120 attackers coming in over 1 sector will do 122X.
A ship with 6PDS and 1 attacker will only do 6X.
With 2 attackers over 2 sectors - 6X
With 3 attackers over 3 sectors - 6X
with 6 attackers over 6 sectors - 6X
With 7 attackers over 6 sectors - 7X

So small numbers of fighters are useful. Large numbers will swamp
defences but take too many casualties to do it more than a few times.
Only in extreme fighter-rich environments will even the largest ships
have more than 4PDS plus escorts.  Yet just 1 fighter group can be very
handy even against the largest ships.

--
This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or
confidential information. It is intended solely for the named addressee.

Prev: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules Next: Re: New Full Thrust point defence rules