Prev: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!) Next: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:20:50 -0400
Subject: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Roger Bell_West <roger@firedrake.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:25:29AM -0500, Patrick Connaughton wrote:
> >
> >There have been comments above inconclusive games. These happen
> >(sadly) all too often when you're using point based, matchup games.
> >It becomes the challenge of the presenter to build a good scenario
> >that provides victory conditions or success criteria that challenge
> >the players to do more than body count.
>
> Yes, I think that some sort of objective, even if it's just "get your
> guys off the other edge of the map", almost always improves things.

Ambush Alley had or used to have available a very short (4-page; 3 of
which
were the rules, one was the rules cover :-D ) set of WWII 'patrol'
campaign
rules which each side would roll secretly for their force's
game/scenario
objective. A friend and I adopted it to do a short (9-game) TW campaign
couple years ago, and it worked really well. One of the objectives was
exit the other end of the table with half your force or more. There were
six objectives that you would roll for on each side, with each side
keeping
their rolled objective a secret from the other. Made for some
interesting
battles. (and a couple of potentially boring ones when both of our
objectives were to withdraw; but that happened far less often than the
other combination of objectives).

Mk