Prev: RE: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!) Next: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:06:04 -0400
Subject: Re: SG:AC discussions (was: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

> Interesting - I have a copy of CoC, but haven't done more than glance
> through it so far; I'll give it a better look when I get the chance.

I played CoC once -- and it was a tremendous bore.  Granted it was a
prior
version of the game but at the time it seemed like we spent the entire
game
just pushing units back and forth e.g. on my turn I shot unit Z and they
fell back and on their turn unit Z advanced, shot my unit and I feel
back...ad infinitum ad nauseum.  Maybe it's better now?

> Perhaps the most important thing as a first step is to actually
> define the target players for the game - if anyone wants to chime in
> with some thoughts on that, feel free!

I think the better question is what kind of community do you want to
build
up around the system?  For all their evils the point based games tend to
invite tournaments.  Earlier I mentioned that the core rules shouldn't
be
intimately tied to the background but there is nothing saying you cannot
have "The complete guide to NAC" style "army" books.

I will point to the local success of Bolt Action which I cannot explain
based on the rules alone.  There is a rather large and vibrant BA
community
near work who meet weekly to try new armies or combos.	I ask myself
"Those
rules...do you know any better?" and in some cases they probably do not.
In other cases they possibly overlook the rules happy to have a local
community to game with.  The BA folks will be producing a Scifi version
in
the near future and will probably see success.

If you want to target the same set of folks who got into SG2, DS2, and
FT
then the outcome, for you, will probably be the same.  You may be ok
with
that but you may also be losing a commercial opportunity.

Your shop your rules after all.  :)

D.