Prev: RE: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES! Next: Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

From: James Moore <jmooreou@g...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 10:16:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

I'm totally down with less Warhammer-y mechanics, or anything generally
less Warhammer-y in general, with heavy emphasis on price point. ;)

I would probably give them a read over, for sure, but the issue I run
into
is more of a time thing, and not necessarily a desire thing. With that
said, I tend to focus on games with more of a skirmish level to them,
simply because I actually have a chance of getting the minis painted up
while the game is still on the market. Painting six to eight guys (or
gals)
and then gradually adding to them over the course of time is much easier
than painting twenty to ??? guys (or gals).

With that being said, the constructive rules bit that I would offer is
please leave artillery off board. It's kind of a weird thing in FoW, and
get that the minis are cool, but it has always felt off to me. Artillery
as
an objective could be fun though, so mayhaps I contradict myself.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

> >textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
> >
> >Jon-
> >
> >		 When you say company level with fire teams are you
thinking
> >along the lines of a game like Flames of War? Multiple figures per
base
> and
> >the like? I think 15mm lends itself well to that scale, but also
think
> that
> >Dirtside did a pretty good job with that as well.
> >
> >							 -James Moore
>

> Yes, exactly, James. Think of a typical FoW force size -
> combined-arms forces of a couple of platoons each of tanks and
> infantry, plus supporting elements; infantry based in 3-4 man teams,
> with such a "stand" of figures or a single vehicle as the basic
> "element" of play, and a platoon-sized group of such elements as the
> standard "tactical unit" in gameplay.
>
> What you do with a Squad in SGII would be done with a Platoon in
SG:AC.

> In some ways it WOULD be rather like Dirtside (similar organisational
> level), but with much more emphasis on infantry than the very
> tank-centric style of DSII.
>
> So, yes, like FoW but of course with much less Warhammer-y
mechanics....
> ;-)
>
> Jon (GZG)
>

> >On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Seamus <fomorianwolf@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >>  textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
> >>
> >>  On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>  >
> >>  > Actually, a serious question out of this levity..... in the
opinions
> >>  > of those of you here, how much interest WOULD there still be in
the
> >>  > reviving of the long-back-burnered SG:AC project? That is, a new
> >>  > edition of Stargrunt with a shift of level to Company-sized
forces
> >>  > and fireteam-based 15mm figures?
> >>  > Or are there so many other good rules sets out there covering
the
> >>  > same ground already that it would really be a waste of precious
time?
> >>  >
> >>  > I fully expect to get a number of replies along the lines of
"forget
> >>  > that and get FT3 (or FMA, or whatever else you are waiting for)
done