Prev: Re: Naval FT Variant Next: RE: Naval FT Variant

Re: Naval FT Variant

From: "K. Wang" <azuredolfin@y...>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 07:03:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Naval FT Variant

I knew this list would come through! Thanks, Doug.

Allan, I am very interested in the rules you are developing and would
love to take a look at them.

Ken

Hemlock is what!? - Socrates

<devans@nebraska.edu> ]
]
<binhan.lin@gmail.com> ]

> Administrivia:
> Administrivia:
> archives at http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/
> in case of problems, contact listmaster@firedrake.org
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:22:53 +0000
> From: Douglas Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
> To: "gzg@firedrake.org" <gzg@firedrake.org>
> Subject: RE: Naval FT Variant
>
> Found a version called Full Steam for WWII.
>
> http://cwintel.tripod.com/fsteam.zip
>
> The unzipped rule set is entitled 'Wet Thrust'. Oh, you guys...
>
> Not to be confused with Full Steam: 1889, of course.
>
> I recall someone on this list announce an attempt for
pre-dreadnoughts, but I've gone blank. I seem to think they said it
didn't portray ships well. A lot of people say that about spaceships in
Full Thrust.

> I disagree, but it's generally accepted to be so much fun.
>
> Doug

seem to recall seeing it on a now defunct website that was a repository
of alternative rulesets for FT, DS, and SG. Thanks.

> Regards,
>
> Ken
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 16:20:56 +0000
> From: Douglas Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
> To: "gzg@firedrake.org" <gzg@firedrake.org>
> Subject: RE: Naval FT Variant
>
> *blush* Now THAT was embarrassing!
>
> Sorry, Allan! Especially the part where I typed 'Allen'...
>
> Share what you can, when you can. Remember, the perfect is the enemy
of the good enough. See my work table...

> Wait, I have a work table? MORE THAN ONE?!?
>
> Doug

again. The big issue is that if you want fairly realistic naval combat,
you need non-linear weapon damage (i.e. the chance of doing damage at
close range versus long range is not linear). Full Thrust's beams are
linear. I think I have a way around this, but it needs some testing.

> --
> Allan Goodall 	   http://www.hyperbear.com
> awgoodall@gmail.com
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:27:58 -0400
> From: Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com>
> To: gzg@firedrake.org
> Subject: Re: Naval FT Variant
>
> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Douglas Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
wrote:

>> *blush* Now THAT was embarrassing!
>>
>> Sorry, Allan! Especially the part where I typed 'Allen'...
>>

> Could have been worse. You could have typed "Alien"...   ;-)
>
> Mk
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:09:08 -0600
> From: Binhan Lin <binhan.lin@gmail.com>
> To: gzg@firedrake.org
> Subject: Re: Naval FT Variant
>
> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> I did the original Flank Speed conversions, but I no longer have a
copy and
> only a faint memory of the conversions stats. For weapons there was
> something about large caliber (12" or up) and a combination of number
in a
> turret to generate the A-bats (class 1's), 8" to 11.9" were B-bat's
(class
> 2's) and less than 8" for the C-bat's (class 3). Also if the 5" were
DP,