Prev: Re: FT: Squadron Question Next: Re: FT: Squadron Question

Re: FT: Squadron Question

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:29:34 +0000
Subject: Re: FT: Squadron Question

On 16/02/2013 00:02, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 06:54:18PM -0500, Doc wrote:
>> 1 of our group wants to build a carrier with only 3 launch bays, but
put 1 to 2 extra squadron in per bay at Mass 6, and use them like
"Missile launcher bay" and rotate them up, so they can launch and be
recovered at 1 squadron per launch bay pre turn.
> Not possible under the standard rules. A fighter squadron needs a
fighter bay in order to be deployed in combat.
PSB justification for saying no: the Mass for the bay is not just the
launch and recovery system, but also the space and equipment for
maintenance, storage when not deployed, accommodation for the crews and
engineers, etc. -- in short, everything needed for a squadron to be
operational that isn't fighter. So, depending upon setting, little to
nothing significant is saved by the reloadable bay concept. You'd need
house rules for separate launch and recovery systems to make the idea
work.

Interesting thought, though. You could have simple L&R (open a hangar
door and let the kids out and back in under their own power, or
release/apply external mounting clamps), or various varieties of launch
tube or similar device according to setting, with resulting
benefits/problems for the fighters. In fact, it might be preferable to
separate launch from recovery as many settings do, and allow the
possibility of multiple launch methods -- use a tube or go out the
hatch, with maybe fighter type A doing one and type B doing the other...

and so on.

The above is just the product of a little free association at
oh-far-too-early on a Saturday morning, and I'm sure lots of people have

already got such rules for themselves, but it could be an idea worth
looking at for those who don't; the Mass and point costs should be not
too different from the standard ones, but enought to reflect the good
and bad points of doing it that way.

Phil

Prev: Re: FT: Squadron Question Next: Re: FT: Squadron Question