Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Re: GEOHEX Terrain

Re: GEOHEX Terrain

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 02:36:51 -0500
Subject: Re: GEOHEX Terrain

Nice job, J.L.

I did find the 'island in the moat' pieces a bit hilarious.... clearly
landscaped rather than natural terrain.... :0)

Is it a camera/lighting trick or is the green of your hexes a bit
different than your grassmat's green? It looks a bit more 'billiard
table green' than 'grass green' to me.

I think one of the reasons Geohex bevelled the edges a second time,
other than any roughness from the cuts, is that very thin protrusions
in foam will not handle transport well (damage easily). A small bevel
can make the piece slightly more damage resistant.

I have so much geohex (about 100 pcs) and never take it out because my
table lacks edges and it has shown itself prone to 'galoot player
damage'.

Nowadays, I've become a fan of 'terrain pieces' - hills, etc. made out
of styrene but deployed to the table as a single piece. No fiddly
assembly, no corner locks, no player-bumps-hill followed by a fiddly
realignment, etc. Part of this is I never had a table edge that was
raised nor enough of the edge pieces to finish hexes into table-edges.

I do like square terrain boards as a base for a game. A single 1x1 or
2x2 terrain board can be quite useful without being too fiddly to
layout and keep squared up. But I like the 2" thick variety and made
from either the blue or pink foam instead of the white stuff. It's
more expensive but it is tougher in use.

--
Only solitary men know the full joys of friendship. Others have their
family; but to a solitary and an exile, his friends are everything.

Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Re: GEOHEX Terrain