Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits...

Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits...

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:30:01 +0000
Subject: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits...

>textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
>Right off the bat, Size? For me, anything over 2 inches tall is pretty
much
>a collecter's item not a gaming piece, and as such I skip right over.
The
>New Gruntz Mech is too tall, for example.

Well, I'm looking at something at the top end of your "acceptable"
range, but not too huge - maybe 2.5" to 3" overall height, but quite
"stocky" and bulky in design - wide, squat and powerful.

>On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 09:42, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
>
>>  A quick hypothetical question to all out there in list-land -
>>  especially those of you who like Mecha-style units with your ground
>>  forces....
>>

>Votoms and Landmates yes. Gundam, no. Anything over 5 scale meters
tall,
>might as well paint a target on it.

Definitely a strong Votoms style flavour to it, would scale as a
Votoms-size unit if used for 25/28mm, or slightly bigger when used
with 15mm. This is a "Walking Main Battle Tank" type of unit,
bristling with various (customisable) weapons both body-mount and
hand-carried.

Jon (GZG)

>>  When you get a kit of a gaming mecha (something for use on the
table,
>>  as opposed to a Gundam-type plastic kit for display), how important
>>  is "poseability" to you? By that I mean the flexibility to choose
>>  exactly how you pose your particular model when you build it, as
>>  opposed to having to assemble it in one fixed pose determined by the
>>  manufacturer.
>

>>  If you were faced with a white-metal Mecha kit with LOTS of parts -
>>  let's say anything up to 40 separate components - which effectively
>>  had almost every joint poseable, would you panic and never build it?
>>  Would you prefer to see it made up in a much smaller number of
>>  solid-cast subassemblies that were much quicker to glue together,
but
>>  would result in a model that looked just like the next guy's one?
>>

>That depends, good joints then more is ok, crappy joints few is better.
It