Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: Re: Full Thrust: German Style

Re: GEOHEX Terrain

From: Evyn MacDude <infojunky@c...>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 01:42:03 -0800
Subject: Re: GEOHEX Terrain

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:27, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using a wire, you need a sturdy enough wire under enough tension to
keep it
> from deflecting in the middle even if it is held top and bottom.

The top loop on my Hot-wire Jigsaw is tensioned by an arraignment of a
Long
shanked eye-bolt guide washers and wingnut. I use Niccrhome wire as the
cutting element.

You might consider cutting two templates, then clamping them on either
side
of your foam. With a hot-wire cutter then you have positive guide on
both
sides of the cut. The quick way to do this is make the templates out of
foamcore then use masking tape along edges to protect them from the
Hot-wire.

> I wonder
> sometimes if some sort of large heated knife would be the answer, but
that
> would be a very persnickety thing as well since you don't want to ever
stop
> with something like that for even a moment and cuts would have to be
fast
> and precise. Even with a wire, hesitation can burn a work piece.

Hot knives are more finicky than Hot wire cutters, they retain heat
better
durning the cut, but your supposition is correct your cuts need to
be continuous. They also have a much larger wastage percentage, as the
cut
width is at least the width of the blade. (a nice hot knife can
be acquired from HarborFreight fo about $20) Consider this, a Hot-knife
is
the foam equivalent of a industrial Chainsaw....

Having a tabletop cutter with the wire suspended, held at both ends,
> adjustable as to angle for bevelling, and with enough clearance to let
you
> run big work stock through it is no mean feat. There are commercial
cutters
> like this and you can build them at home, but they take up some space.

Yep. Tools tend to scale with the size you are working with.

> It's a pity nobody has convinced 3M to spit out 1' hexagons....

Game Crafter makes 12 inch hexes in MDF, I have been considering buying
couple for  use as Jigs.
--
Evyn

Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: Re: Full Thrust: German Style