Prev: Re: From GZG: WARFARE, FT Japanese and Christmas Offers! Next: Re: Blacker than Black

Re: Blacker than Black

From: Charles Lee <xarcht@y...>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 07:51:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Blacker than Black

You know there's one sensor that can't be jammed, but it's not that
accurate fer fire control. It's gravity sensors.

________________________________
From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, Nov 11, 2011 7:03 am
Subject: Blacker than Black
To: <gzg@firedrake.org>

Tom B schrieb:

> TB: Admittedly, I'm confused now. It is 98% absorptive in infra-red,
> but it also radiates away more heat... I can't quite reconcile this in
> my head.

Indeed, this seems like a paradox, but actually, it's true.

It may help to think about it as two different processes. One is how the

surface handles incoming radiation, the other is how it sends radiation
generated by the object.

When we call an object black or white, we refer to the way it handles
incoming radiation. A white object reflects radiation, a black one
absorbs it. Note: of course this also depends on the incoming light. At
night everything looks black, because there is no light around.

Any object above absolute zero temperature also sends out heat
radiation. It is in the infrared at normal temperatures, but if you heat

it up, it starts to glow in visible light.

By a paradoxic-seeming twist of the laws of physic, a black object is
both the best absorber of incoming radiation and the most efficiet
emitter of outgoing heat radiation.

I hope this helps
Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: From GZG: WARFARE, FT Japanese and Christmas Offers! Next: Re: Blacker than Black