Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: Homework assignment

Conquests- rewriting (future) history....?

From: "K.H.Ranitzsch" <kh.ranitzsch@t...>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:20:23 +0200
Subject: Conquests- rewriting (future) history....?

Ground Zero Games schrieb:
> Hello all,
>

> How do folks feel about "rewriting history", not in the Stalinist
> sense of course, but in terms of making some revisions and changes to
> a few of the events already written into the "canon" of the GZG
> universe?
>
> The basics of our GZG background were written back around 1990/91 -
> in the 20 years since then, not only have real events moved past some
> of the earliest bits (and come dangerously close to others...), but
> the games and their background have reached many, many more people
> all over the world than I ever thought about or intended when they
> were first written.
>
> So, if it was up to you, what would you change, if anything? All
> suggestions are welcome for discussion, whether they are because of
> real events that have occurred since the time of writing, or just
> because there is something in the background that you simply don't
> like....
>
>   i look forward to reading your reasoned and well-argued responses!
;-)

My basic problem with the future history is that it contains various
wars on Earth that result in the conquest and annexation of whole
continents in fairly short timespans, notably of Latin America by the
NAC and India by the ESU.
If you look at recent history, the trend is going in the oposite
direction. Technical, poilitcal, cultural and communications trends make

it harder and harder even for a superpower to hold onto relatively small

territories (see the Russians in Chechenia, or Afghanistan and Iraq)
conquered by force.
So any massive military conquests need a massive reorientation of those
trends that need explaining.
Territorial shifts nowadays either come about due to fragmentation of
larger entities (Sowiet Union) or through the voluntary merging of
smaller entities (the EU).
Most of the shifts in the Tuffleyverse apperently happened via voluntary

union, so I am OK with that. The NAC came about in extremly unusual
circumstances and I am willing to accept that, too.

But I would suggest to allow the Latin American LLAR to exist on Earth,
and that India, shose importance is growing, to remain independent,
perhaps having absorbed Babgla Desh, Ceylon and sundry smaller stated in

the neighbourhood.

India would also make for an interesting new power.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: Homework assignment