Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:14:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

On 20/10/2011 3:37 AM, Ground Zero Games wrote:
> How do folks feel about "rewriting history", not in the Stalinist
> sense of course, but in terms of making some revisions and changes to
> a few of the events already written into the "canon" of the GZG
> universe?

I'm not sure I'd change much of anything.  Even if plans have changed
and FT 3rd Ed. is back on the front burner, I think the story is
strong enough to stand on its own, creates enough potential story
hooks to provide reasons to 'fight' if needed, and has enough holes
so that people can create their own universes if they have to.	Changing
it now, no matter what direction you move it in, will always open you
to the accusation of "lack of creativity", because no matter what you
come up with (unless you go really wild) has already been developed by
somebody else.

My thought is, any time you spend considering the backstory canon would
probably be better spent working on minis or co-coordinating with new
rulesets.  In the end, we didn't play FT because of backstory (though
it's
always nice to have) - we played FT because, it had good and fast rules
and nice looking miniatures.  I don't think revising the backstory
will generate much, if anything in the way of new business, and will
risk alienating anybody who feels the 'backstory' has become less
'realistic' by the changes.

JGH

--
** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan -