Prev: Re: Space Geography Next: Re: Space Geography

Re: Space Geography

From: Tamsin Piper <Tamsin@t...>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:49:16 +0100
Subject: Re: Space Geography

Another consideration to be accounted for is for the detection to be
communicated by the sensor arrays to sentient recipients, which is
likely to be at light speed. Unmanned sensor arrays are likely to be
positioned such that there aren't (m)any blind spots in system, with
built in redundancy (multiple sensor arrays with overlapping scan
areas and communication lines to the sentient presence).

Assuming you arrive in-system 6 light hours out from your final
target, and 1 light hour away from the nearest sensor array with a
direct "line of sight" communication to the sentient presence at your
final target, then the sensor array would detect you 1 hour after
arrival and the sentient presence would become aware of your presence
at some point from 6 hours after you arrive in system. It is unlikely
that you will be travelling much faster than 0.2 light speed
in-system, so it would take you a minimum of 30 hours to reach final
target, in which time they will have been tracking your movements
(course, speed, etc) giving them up to 24 hours to prepare their
defences to meet you.

On arrival you would have a slight edge as you would be aware of
in-system dispositions at "point x" in time due to light which has
reached your arrival point. For instance, on arrival your sensors
reveal that 6 hours ago, your final target was being circulated not
by the single cruiser squadron you had anticipated and there is in
fact a full battle group within 1 light hour of the target. You could
then opt to abort and exit the system immediately before your
presence has been registered by them (they will of course become
aware of your arrival, but after you have left).

As others have said, the chances are that you will be detected
regardless of where you "jump in". The real issue is how quickly the
detection will occur. Once in system both sides will be limited by
the speed of light in determining where your/their forces are - as
you approach your target the information on both sides will get
closer to "real time location".

For a good idea of what I'm talking about, try Jack Campbell's "Lost
Fleet" series.

Tamsin