Prev: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day Next: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day

Re: [GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:25:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day

> > Yes, Ace was good. And I think I agree with your criteria. Being
> > able to disable a hostile alien in some fashion would be an
> > appropriate minimum for a companion.
>
> Militant qualities, as well as 'too brainy' have actually tended to
have
> negative effects on a) the character's personality, and b) the
interactions
> with the Doctor. I'd have to say I think a fair amount of dependency,
both
> to keep us informed of the situation, and to keep us uninformed of the
> solution, is required in a companion.
>
> To quote myself off of LAF:
>
> "Female companions have often been either scream queens, or stoically
> 'stiff upper lip' strong. Sarah Jane always seemed to have just the
right
> balance for the drama, with a bit of extra sparkle. Many a talented
and
> promising following companion seemed to suffer by comparison. Case of
'they
> weren't bad; she was just too good'...

I was never much of a Dr Who fan, and I attribute it to the scream queen
companions. Early on when I could have been hooked by the show, all I
saw
were scream queens, which just turned me right off (I hate scream
queens),
so I never bothered keeping up with it. With Christopher Eccleston
coming on
board I gave it another go, and liked it much better. Liked Tenant, too,
but
the current boy they have...I stopped watching again.

Wait, there's a new mystery fleet?

Yeah. To me it looks like a much needed tech/design upgrade to the UNSC.

:-)

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day Next: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day