Prev: [GZG] From GZG: IMPORTANT! Mail-order update! Next: Re: [GZG] Railguns

Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:24:50 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

Your 'extensions' to FT movement are very like what I had in mind to
suggest on reading your first couple of sentences.

Cinematic has always been 'the one that goes swoosh', with only enough
grounding in reality to allow the plausible suspension of disbelief.
People
mention 'going off the table'; this drives others mad. Same kind of
thing,
to me; most of us agree but just go on playing on a table when somebody
pipes up 'but space has THREE dimensions!'

I used to have arguments a decade ago where someone would say 'what if I
started my turn 1000 mu off table, came in at 994 speed, and deployed my
missiles' kinds of thought questions, and then say Full Thrust was
broken
because of their example. I ended up just shaking my head and walking
away.
I think it took them a few weeks of talking to the list before they'd
left.

Personally, if I were to play at CM per MU speeds, I'd be playing on
tables
one fifth the size I normally do. You fly off the table, and you've
detached yourself from the current battle dynamics, and I need special
rules for you to return. Or, there are now multiple battle tables. Or,
there are additional rules for larger-than-table velocities, similar to
what you have below.

Or, I would play Vector. Or not.

Actually, inches are about as fiddly as I'd be willing to get. Too bad;
another summer gone and I've still not played one foot MU's with ships
on
garden stakes.

The_Beast