Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Beam batteries as point defense Next: [GZG] Warfare- Reading Show Report

Re: [GZG] [FT] Beam batteries as point defense

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:50:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Beam batteries as point defense

lensing is probably the best PSB (if you'll pardon the loaded term)
available to explain the use of beam batteries as point defense. I
initially resisted the whole idea, but I can see the benefit in taking
FT further away from wet-navy analogs. Allowing only Beam-1s as point
defense smacks of "5-inch DP guns." That kind of hat tip is nice, but I
now am more comfortable going away from it. It leaves interesting design
tradeoffs in place, because using beam-2 and 3 as PD sacrifices a lot of
a ship's offensive punch at what might be a critical point in the
engagement.

Another possibility is to make gravitic lensing (or whatever) a
purchasable technology upgrade, so there might be a "transitional" fleet
out there bristling with extra beam-1s as DP weapons, until they perfect
their gravitic lensing.

Best,
Ken