Prev: [GZG] when I'm fillin' wormholes Next: Re: [GZG] when I'm fillin' wormholes

Re: [GZG] PDS flak

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:41:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: [GZG] PDS flak

I haven't seen this particular one, but predictably, I don't like it, or
any other system that affords a way to attack all fighter groups that
are striking a ship that doesn't have a strict limit on the upper end of
its effectiveness.  It's always just a matter of "how many PDS do I need
to make all incoming fighters and ordnance useless?"  In this case, it's
around 20-25, which is probably low-to-average in the custom games I
see.

Counterexample:  the close-in defense system ("lightning shield") that
Indy posted from the playtest list.  Its upper end is only able to kill
half the fighters coming in, and it takes 15% of a ship's mass to do it.
 If anything, I think the mass cost might be a little too high -- 15%
mass is a _lot_ for a passive system, and it's even steeper on a capital
ship, where putting too much into passive defenses can leave you with a
pretty toothless ship.