Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 25

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:16:28 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 25

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do the math on 20,000 tons of steel distributed over the surface of
> sphere 1000km in diameter.

Assumes that all matter is evenly distributed over the surface which
it wouldn't really be of course.  It's a good place to start but
probably not the best way to model what one could assume would be a
time-based explosive ripple blasting huge chunks of ship off as it
went up.

Not all pieces would be micrometeor sized bitlets - some may be huge
multi-ton chunks which would easily be dodged normally but in a combat
situation sh!t happens...

> Quick back-of-the-envelope calculations suggests that...

I don't disagree with anything you have to say other than, from a
gaming perspective, I'd like to have that mass blob of ex-ship do
something on the tabletop.  Even if it acts as a pseudo-screen if your
LOF tracks fire through it.  Perhaps have it turn based so it only
does this for N turns and then dissipates...

D.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24