Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:30:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> The miniatures games were hosted by people who were enthused...
>
> Contrast this with the chit-pusher zones. Each table was two
(generally
> older men) battling it out in one-on-one style combat over a board
with
> chits. Their focus was intense, like chess masters. They also radiated
> casual antipathy...

A decent generalization but I don't think it goes far enough.  If you
can believe it I've seen some pretty intense DBA game play at the
various HMGS cons.  Some of these people get VERY MUCH INTO their 12
stand army of Mongol horsemen army...

Jerry and I will normally play a few impromptu games of HOTT at the
various HMGS cons and the looks we get are nothing short of
astounding.  I remember this one fellow who gave us the LONG, rather
condescending, look.  Shook his head and walked away.  Soooo sorry we
tainted your 15mm hardcore DBA experience with our 15mm Orks vs.
Undead not-tournament HOTT game.  We did manage to play two games in
the time it took them to play one.

So what this really may mean is just a segmentation of the miniatures
world -- "competitive" or tournament vs. friendly gaming.  I've played
several games with people who were quite nice in group games but
became rank one arseholes in a tournament setting.

Where are you Indy?  j/k

D.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes