Prev: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:16:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Thanks, Indy. I hadn't heard.

I suppose it's an example of my geekness that I'm surprised that his
game
company, its name continues as a major branch of Hasbro, isn't
mentioned.
Of course, HIS name continues as a industry award of excellence.

I actually have a game from the forties that looks very like Tactics,
with
many elements that would be recognizable. However, in the interview, a
defining characteristic of the game's genius is in the simple 'table of
varying results'.

Cycles of board gamers have gone to sleep to nightmares of three mundane
letters: CRT.

...with strong gratitude.

Thank you, Mr. Roberts.

Doug

From:	Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com>
To:	gzg-l@mail.csua.berkeley.edu
Date:	08/31/2010 06:19 AM
Subject:	[GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes
Sent by:	gzg-l-bounces@mail.csua.berkeley.edu

Morning, all,

Just an FYI. Charles S Roberts, who, among other things, designed the
first
modern board game, Tactics, and was founder of the company Avalon Hill,
passed away this past Saturday. Most all of us got our start in gaming
through board games. He would be the man who brought us here to where we
are now.

And he hailed from right here in Maryland. Baltimore, Maryland, to be
exact.

Article in the local newspaper:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-08-28/news/bs-md-ob-charles-robert
s-20100827_1_b-o-halethorpe-railroads

Article written by Roberts in 1983 which covers the early history of
board
gaming and Avalon Hill:

http://www.alanemrich.com/CSR_pages/Articles/CSRspeaks.htm

Mk

(tried sending this yesterday but it didn't get passed along; resending

Prev: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes