Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 35, Issue 9 Next: [GZG] FMAS Scale

Re: [GZG] FMAS Thrust

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:33:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMAS Thrust

It might make for an interesting game, but I don't think I'd enjoy it
nearly as much as Full Thrust.	Part of Full Thrust's enjoyment value
for me has always been the sheer level of variety of tactics you can use
while still keeping the game mechanics simple.	You can pretty easily
model almost anything you can see in science fiction without having to
add house rules to the game.  Death Star?  Check, and there's even more
than one way to do it.	Battlestar?  Check.  Star Trek?  Check.  Babylon
5?  Check.  Pirates in space?  Check.  Yamato?	Check.	If you can
imagine it, you can pretty much do it, and the tactics can completely
change based on what you're doing and what's in front of you, and if you
don't get too wound up in trying to "keep a certain fleet style" you can
make basically all of them work without horribly violating your themes,
no less.  About the only real tactical requirement the game mechanics
force on you is that you have to either (a) be prepared for a very
  serious fighter attack or (b) enforce a fleet book aesthetic that
deliberately de-emphasizes the use of fighters.

FMA, on the other hand, is more about trying to play a "realistic" game.
 It's simply aiming for a different thing at its core.	It does it very
well, and models quality of forces very well also, and maybe some
elements of it could potentially be borrowed in a Full Thrust like game
(in fact, quality of fighters would probably be a good thing if it could
be done well), but the whole "mission kill" thing is something I don't
find as enjoyable as the space opera like setting that Full Thrust
provides.  You could just as easily model it by making your own house
fleet book with all fragile hulls and minimal armor.