Prev: [GZG] Augmented Reality and Helmet Heads-Up-Displays Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:24:58 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

can use Hollywood movies to tell us all we needed to know about
military matters....

Therfore:

1) Hand grenades will either be akin to a small thermonuclear device or
will
be utterly ineffective at hitting 'the good guys', while killing dead
key
bad guys (unless it is the A-team, in which case bad guys are only
shaken up
by hand grenades)

2) Soldiers never need to reload except to increase tension. They only
run
out of ammunition if they have offended the director and are about to be
killed.

3) Germans are evil, Americans are good, and the British are good or
evil
depending on who they are fighting (Americans -> British are evil,
Germans
-> British are good).

4) Suppressive fire that is unaimed is effective.

5) Snipers often shoot other snipers through their optics.

6) Tanks can be neutralized with fragmentation grenades and molotov
cocktails. Even moden ones. Fairly rapidly.

7) Thin walls, brick, single-thickness concrete block, and trees will
stop
rifle and MG calibre ammunition.

8) Cover is not required unless you are on the Director's bad side (in
which
case it will not help) or unless you are a 'Bad Guy' (whom it also will
not
help).

9) Bad guys fight like Imperial Storm Troopers. Good Guys fight like
Sith-Jedi crossovers with a dose of the Governator thrown in for good
measure.

10) The US captured the Enigma machines by seizing German subs.

--------

Having finished that list, I think I rest my case about the merits of
Hollywood as informing any opinions about how things actually work.

High volume fire may have a somewhat lower likelihood of scoring a hit,
but
it is still intended to kill the enemy if possible. Yes, sometimes
soldiers
'sprayed and prayed' but there's a reason they call it that - it is
usually
entirely ineffective. The US soldiers killed a lot of vegetation in
Vietnam
with this technique.

Now Beast, mosey on back to your nice, clean, shiny airlock or I'll have
issue you a rifle, a 75 pound pack, some good boots, another 30 pounds
of
kit to lug for your squadmates, and get you involved in some 'light
infantry' route marches through some bog country..... :0)

T.

Prev: [GZG] Augmented Reality and Helmet Heads-Up-Displays Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting