Prev: [GZG] Augmented Reality and Helmet Heads-Up-Displays Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 19:02:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting

On Monday 05 July 2010 00:50:30 Tom B wrote:
> Sam,
>
> I'll agree that splitting out suppressive fire, covering fire and
>  normal fire in Stargate SG-1 the RPG, they have created more
>  choices. It is also simplifying.
>
> However, given that they gave me something like 10 pages of rules for
> computer skill (and not really usable ones IMO) and wasted many
>  column inches and game mechanics on other aspects that will only bog
>  down the game, I find it hard to imagine they did this for
>  simplicity reasons. Perhaps for the choices, I will believe.

A game focuses on what the designers want to make interesting. I can
imagine a Stargate campaign being focused on technology, so a rule
system that doesn't simplify the tech guy's contribution to a single
die roll (roll a die - you've hacked into the alien's computer system/
you haven't hacked in) sort of makes sense. Combat rules are generally
complex enough without needing extra layers to make combat focused
characters feel wanted. Whether the rules actually work or not is
another matter entirely :-)

> That said, such 'choices' provoke annoyed comments from players as to
>  why normal fire can't suppress on a near miss and why covering fire
>  and suppressive fire can't *ever* harm anyone.

Dark Heresy has similar rules, but there is a (reduced) chance of
hitting one or more random targets within the suppressed zone.
Normal fire doesn't suppress however.

> My point was particularly that the reality of suppression effects
>  from fire is that they are from fire which a) does sometimes hit and
>  cause casualties and b) has to be close enough to convince people
>  that casualties can ensue.

Personally, I don't think there should be any suppression rules
in an RPG. If the risk of getting hit and killed is high enough
through standard gunfire, then a character's desire to want to stay
behind cover should fall out naturally. If someone doesn't want
to suffer penalties for shooting from behind cover then they can
stay out in the open and calmly return fire. Their next character
may decide to do things differently :-)

But yeah, I think we're in general agreement.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: [GZG] Augmented Reality and Helmet Heads-Up-Displays Next: Re: [GZG] FMAS: Combining Movement with Shooting