Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger

Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger

From: Richard Bell <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:28:14 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger

>     <AANLkTinCM3yM8-M_RiB-UBJjgrolFa0ImFuWIU3seo_I@mail.gmail.com>
>
> I hear you Englanders have broken down and formed an Institute to
conserve
> and protect the English Language. I was listening to the lady behind
the
> movement, inspired it seems by the institutes in Spain and France.
>
> Don't get me wrong, there's a lovely lot to conserve of English
history, but
> before anyone speaking the King or Queen's English is allowed to
become
> curator of the amorphous nature of English, I think the English have
> 'splain some things to us poor colonials...

This makes me think of something a friend of mine wrote:

People who go on about the purity of the English language amuse me.
English has all the purity of a cribhouse whore.  It not only borrows
words from other languages, it lures small languages into dark alleys
and rolls them for spare vocabulary.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Re: Ginger