Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises! Next: [GZG] Language Use - was Re: GZG official news - we've moved premises!

Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:39:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!

2010 at 2:49 PM, Robert Mayberry
<robert.mayberry@gmail.com>wrote:

> However here in the south, at least in Atlanta, when you ask for a
> Coke you get a Coke. If you ask for a Pepsi, you get shot. Or, if
> you're lucky, a weird look and a Coke. Dr. Pepper made it down here,
> but only recently; his less educated counterpart Mr. Pibb reigned
> instead.

Pepsi (which, for the record, I detest, at least in it's Diet form) is
also
southern. The birth place of Pepsi is New Bern, North Carolina. I was
there
in 2006 installing a system for a client just north of there. It was
almost
impossible to find Coke in a restaurant outside of fast food places.

By contrast, though Coke was born in Atlanta, it was first bottled in
Vicksburg, MS. The bottler -- and the first person to heavily advertise
the
product -- was Joseph A. Biedenharn, who moved from Vicksburg to Monroe,
Louisiana (where I work).

That's why when you're in the Deep South (Louisiana to Georgia) you
*will*hear this exchange without anyone in the conversation sounding
the least bit
confused:

"Do you want a coke?"
"Sure! I'll have a Dr. Pepper."