Prev: Re: [GZG] cats, psychotic killers or just misunderstood? was re hawkings aliens Next: [GZG] Interesting article on stem cells grown in space

Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concernsabout Aliens

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:40:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concernsabout Aliens

I realize it's because I'm not a biologist, but I really feel that the
assumptions that life, even with codicils of 'as we would recognize it',
must be so similar as to force us to want the same geography, whereas
'too
tasty' as opposed to 'hideously poisonous' even good biologists would
find
themselves a bit leery, to not be so much a slam dunk.

While, outside of sci-fi, organic equals carbon, and pretty much
carbon-water-nitrogen based, and, therefore, a very limited range of
conditions, I suspect we're myopic, but it's only a hunch.

However, it's a rather strong one, and I quite imagine an armada of
ships
claiming the system in the name of some distant empire, immediately
driving
on to Venus, setting up colonies, and not being heard from again until
someone decides to explore the possibilities of trade. The next armada
doesn't even bother to announce itself to such insignificant barren
locales
as the inner rocks, and starts to colonize the lush clouds of Jupiter.

We are all neighbors, perhaps jealous of certain trade imbalances, which
are immediately forgotten when a consortium of similar races come to
town
to claim the system.

I've not seen the like in any fiction, but I'm sure it's out there.
However, as I got the idea relatively early on from the map in TSR's
Star
Probe, I've had it a good long time.

Humans as cattle, not likely. As impediments towards promising
terraforming, more so. As objects of Dalek-esque xenophobia, probably as
high, though small, as any. I'm willing to accept 'foe as a friend'

I just think 'to be ignored' rates highest of all.

The_Beast

PS How unusual! That almost felt like sophistry from the Laumer/Heinlein
school. Does feel rather good, though hardly intellectually satisfying.
Sorry about that.