Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:16:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Eric,

You picked at some of my points as if they were threads, but they are
integral to the whole.

The playtest rules for fighters address a number of defficiencies in a
combined manner.

I have seen nothing in your proposals that suggests that fighter
advantage becomes much less of a crushing advantage than it is. I
forget the numbers, but having even a handful more fighter groups in
the FB rules makes chowing down on standard ships (even SDNs and BBs)
fairly inexpensive for the fighter side.

I have similarly seen nothing that makes bringing one or two fighter
squadrons have any point whatsoever (several BDNs do this sort of
thing).

The playtest rules made small fighter squadrons worth a bit more, as I
recall (nearer what you pay for them) and larger groupings worth less
(more in line with what you pay for them). I don't see your rules
doing that.

Notice I didn't mention soapies here.

Soapies, another hazard in many FT games and for many groups that
allow any sort of build your own, just make the problem more
pronounced and obvious.

You can still arrive with enough fighters to be crushing to an enemy
even with both sides using FB designs.

I agree there is an issue where having many PDS would be problematic
in an 'all PDS fire at everything' but I don't imagine there is a
published SSD with more than 5 PDS, most SDN's don't seem to have that
many PDSes.

And why you would not worry about soapies (unpublished things actually
constructible under the rules) but worry about ships with 10+ PDS
(unpublished things constructible under the rules) seems to be cherry
picking things for a flavour.

TomB

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1