Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:42:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Hugh Fisher wrote on 04/28/2010 04:08:48 AM:

> To make it clear, Doug is referring to the distance moved in each
> half of a cinematic turn, not the amount turned at each half.

*whew* I was hoping I just hadn't made myself clear, no surprise there,
but
the previous snippet made me doubt myself, again no surprise. Sometimes
it's really GOOD to go through all the replies before answering. I
haven't
dug out the book to be sure, but Hugh has put my mind at ease a bit.

On to other matters...

The fact that Hugh's had to reply to roughly the same sentiment several
times, including moi, in a couple of cases suggests there're real
itches,
and it may well be time to scratch 'em. The disconnect between ship and
fighter/missile movement and attack is probably one, as this may include
'fixing' what and when f/m's take fire.

Weird, I'm usually the one having to explain someone else... ;->=

> >Original probably better models how chem rockets work; each stage has
> >push the remaining stages AND the payload, ergo, be a factor bigger.
> >think they should still add some mass, and perhaps start slower. Or,
be
> >called special 'Honor Harrington' missiles.
>
> That's more for chem rockets escaping a gravity well though. It
> should cost more to have really long range missiles, but I think
> I overdid it a bit with doubling.

D'oh, of course; I was thinking of maneuver, but that's more an 'combat
endurance' thing, only when the missile has to adjust it's vector. Sort
of
the way ships fly... ;->=

> I think this would, once worked through, be a genuine improvement,
> and I'd be happy to discuss possible ways of achieving a unified
> combat phase. But it would be too much of a change for this 1.1
> revision.

Probably necessary, if only as an alternate rule, to be available in the
face of min-maxing, but nice to hear I'm not the only one thinking it
worth
an effort, even if for later.

Fair enough!

Doug

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1