Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

From: John Lerchey <lerchey@g...>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:03:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Hi All,

> I thought it was always round down.
>
>>If this is in the original books, could someone point this out, i.e.
give
>>page number(s), to me? In all the text, in all the examples, either
it's
>>vague or using even numbers for velocity, at least as far as I can
find.
>>We've always been happy with 'you can't do half a turn point, but you
can
>>do half an MU...'
>
> I'm pretty sure it was in Full Thrust (2) and/or FB1.

I thought I'd take a look for this...

FT Page 6: MAKING COURSE CHANGES
"To simulate this when moving the ship model, HALF of the Course
change is made at the START of the ship's movement and the remaining
half at the MID-POINT of the move. If the Course change is an ODD
number, then round DOWN the initial part of the change and round UP
the mid-move part."

Based on this and the examples, if a ship has a Thrust rating of 1 and
wishes to make a single course change, it would round the value (1 is
an ODD number) down as the start to 0 and up at the mid-point to 1.

There is nothing about this in MT.

FB-1, on page 5 states:

ODD-NUMBERED THRUST FACTORS
"... such drives operate just as as for even-numbered ones, except
that to determine the thrust available for course changes the thrust
rating is halved (as normal) but is rounded DOWN, so that a ship with
Thrust-5 is only capable of 2 points of course change.	Note however,
that ships which (through design or through drive damage) have a
Thrust factor of 1 may always change course by 1 point per turn, but
may not accelerate or decelerate at all while doing so."

Same as per FT, but with the addition that you, essentially, don't
half thrust for Thrust-1 ships, but instead apply that mighty single
thrust point to make your course change and do not apply 0.5 to course
change and 0.5 to accel.

Nothing in FB-2 for cinematic.

There.	Page numbers and text found. :)

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1