Prev: Re: [GZG] Fighters and other military planes grounded by ash Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 15

Re: [GZG] Fighters and other military planes grounded by ash

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:08:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Fighters and other military planes grounded by ash

Moral of the story: Plane + Volcano Plume = Bad.  :)

JGH

Allan Goodall wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com
> <mailto:indy.kochte@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Ahhh, technology!  :-D
>

> I wouldn't ditch metal jets around volcanoes quite yet.
>
> The 1944 Vesuvius eruption destroyed between 78 and 88 B-25s of the
> 340th Bombardment Group. Turns out that hot ash might not wreck
> propeller-driving piston engines, but it plays hell with wings covered

> in fabric. It also melted, glazed and cracked plexiglass. Oh, and the
> weight of the ash tipped a bunch of B-25s on their tails.
>
> --
> Allan Goodall 	   http://www.hyperbear.com
> awgoodall@gmail.com <mailto:awgoodall@gmail.com>
> agoodall@hyperbear.com <mailto:agoodall@hyperbear.com>

** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan -
TBFTGOGGI **
My heart has been worn, but it ain't broke;It may hiccup and cough black
smoke
It may seem old, but it still runs; My love has laces that won't come
undone
					-- Jason Plumb, "Satellite"

Prev: Re: [GZG] Fighters and other military planes grounded by ash Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 15