Prev: [GZG] More Salute teasers, for the Vacc-Heads.... Next: Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute

[GZG] New Toys for Salute

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [GZG] New Toys for Salute

The new stuff looks lovely. I will have to consult with others in our
group but 2010 might be the year of 15mm for us – particularly as I
know some of them are very keen to get into Flames of War – the appeal
of that slightly passes me by, the models are nice but seem to be
horribly expensive and I have too much invested already in 20mm WW II
– and as if that had stopped me in the past.

I can see some of the individual pieces (the remotely mounted gun on the
Rommel III) being ready made solutions to 28mm problems (tarting up some
of the ancient Airfix Junior armoured cars for use with the Pig Iron
28mm Kolony figures – probably others later but they are on point) but
I can e-mail the boss after Salute when things have calmed down.

This does beg the slightly OT question, how easy is it to make 15mm
terrain? I am an old hand at 28mm terrain but even 20mm has scared me
off in the past – I think one word 'bricks' will explain why though of
late I have been dabbling with brick textured plastic card with mediocre
results – still better than expected and good enough. You do not need
bricks for SF either which is nice.

Is N gauge model railway stuff too small for 15mm figures? I am pretty
sure it is, it seems to be a good match for 10mm in theory, but it seems
worth asking someone who has seen the elephant.

Firestorm Armada seems to be our groups SF game of choice at the moment,
no one is  actually playing it but several people are ramping up to it
but it seems sensible to me to use my existing NSL fleet, augmented with
some of the shiny new (within the last year or two) releases. An excuse
to buy some new toys without having to start from scratch. They are
playing the fantasy naval sister game but I am put off by the miniatures
for it and none of my wet navy ships will work with it scale or era wise
so I am hoping to pick up something vaguely appropriate at Salute though
I might attempt some scratchbuilding as well - if I can do it in 28mm
how hard can it be in a smaller scale?

Michael

Prev: [GZG] More Salute teasers, for the Vacc-Heads.... Next: Re: [GZG] New Toys for Salute