Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B) Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:40:04 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 05:27:57PM -0500, Robert Mayberry wrote:

>I'm still wondering if 3d really adds anything to the tactical feel of
>the game.

I played quite a bit of Star Strike back in the day (Iron Crown's
spaceship combat game, precursor to Silent Death) and, apart from making
ship design more complicated, I really don't think that adding 3D _in
the absence of gravity_ is worth doing. The major difference is that if
you want to stop the enemy coming through "this bit of space" you need
more ships in order to prevent him from slipping between your units, but
that's not a tactical thing as such.

It's fun to try sometimes, but not something I find worth the trouble
for normal games.

(For an air combat game it's much more important, but not essential even
there: Crimson Skies manages without an altitude system at alll, and is
still fun to play.)